Sunday, February 15, 2009

Transition Time & Attention Grabbers

I don't know how your primary is structured, but I hate the wasted transition minutes between activities, especially when it's going to take me a minute to gather everything and set up. I invariably have to make some alteration from how the previous leader had things (take their pictures down so I can put mine up, turn the blackboard around, help kids move closer, etc.) and it distracts the kids and wastes precious minutes.

I think it's important for the kids to move quickly from one activity to the next (especially the Junior Primary) so they don't lose focus. I also like to change things up when they've been sitting a long time.

Today in Jr. Primary we had sharing time first. Sister Friendly came in and told a story. It was a LONG story with no pictures or activity to go along with it. The kids had been sitting for a long time without any chance to wiggle about. They kept being shushed by their teachers. It was agonizing for them!

The activity I had planned required a little bit of sitting at first, though there was plenty of movement included later. I knew I needed them to move and also have their attention on me if I was going to get everything done in the shortened time I had. So while I was setting things up I started giving them instructions. I always prefaced each instruction with "if you can hear me" to make sure they weren't talking and were paying attention. Here's some of what I said:

"If you can here me":
  • touch your head
  • touch your toes
  • touch your head, touch your toes, touch your nose, touch your head (in rapid succession)
  • stand up
  • jump up and down
  • sit down
  • stand up
  • face the piano
  • wave to Sister Black (our pianist)
  • twirl in a circle
  • jump up and down
  • zip your lip
  • fold your arms
  • sit down
It worked great! They got their wiggles out. It grabbed their attention and focused it on me. It prepared them to quickly move into whatever I had planned next.

Do any of you have tips or tricks for quickly achieving reverence or focus, or for handling your transition time?

No comments: