Friday, February 27, 2009

My Eternal Family

I am going to start My Eternal Family this Sunday and am going to use hand gestures with the song. My kids love using hand signs and I love to throw in an actual American Sign Language sign every so often. Anyway here is the plan:

Verse 1


I (point to self)
am a builder (one fist on top of the other to the beat of the music) working each day
To build my family (ASL sign for family)
And I (point to self)
will do the best (hand in fist move across front of body) I can
To serve (put hands out in front)
them lovingly (hands over hearts)
I (point to self)
am a builder (one fist on top of the other to the beat of the music)
growing so tall (right hand moves from waist height upwards)
And learning every day (right hand pointer finger to head tapping to beat)
To speak (right hand pointer finger touches lips then moves outward)
with kindness (left hand over heart)
in my home (finger tips together like the point of a roof)
To help (hands out in front of you together)
at work (move right hand out)
and play (move left hand out)

My Heav’nly Father (ASL sign)
sent me here (pointer finger moves down)
And He knows (point to head and nod to beat) I can be
Strong (like flexing your arm muscle)
and righteous (point to ring finger (if you're righteous you choose the right and
your CTR ring reminds you to choose the right))
as I build (one fist on top of the other to the beat of the music)
my eternal family (ASL sign for family)

Verse 2


I (point to self)
am a builder (one fist on top of the other to the beat of the music) building
a home (finger tips together like the point of a roof)
I seek (hand above eyes)
the Lord in prayer (hands together in praying position)
And as I try (ASL sign – hands in fist with thumbs out each thumb start above chest and move out in front of you)
to live God’s word (hands like a book for scriptures)
I feel the Spirit (Hands palms toward body move up from waist as fingers "twinkle") there
I (point to self)
am a builder (one fist on top of the other to the beat of the music)
serving (hands together palms up move forward as if offering someone something ) the Lord
And following (hands together moving forward in front of you) His plan
To help my family (ASL sign)
come back home (finger tips together like the point of a roof)
And live with Him again (Right hand raises up above head, gesturing to heaven)


I watched the ASL video for the song on LDS.org here is the link:
http://www.lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,8218-1,00.html

I would love any suggestions.


2 comments:

Menner said...

I did this today, using very similar actions. My Jr. Primary just loved it.

I wasn't planning on using actions with my Sr. Primary because they usually complain that it's too babyish. However, they were all in a really bad mood today and not willing to participate. I told them that I'd teach them the actions the little kids learned if they didn't sing better. They didn't. I taught the actions. They loved it. :)

Margie and Barry's Blog said...

Thanks so much for your great ideas. Margie